Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wednesday Guest Blogger- Katdish from Hey look, a chicken!

My first Guest Blogger! I'm excited to start a Wednesday Guest Blogger series and share some musings from my favorite bloggers. I couldn't think of a better way to start than with the one and only Katdish, who writes the blog Hey look, a chicken! and is a team member at Fellowship of the Travelling Smarty Pants.

Kathy is a blogging machine and a wonderfully funny Christian lady. I'm convinced she's behind many of Twitter's crashes because she's always on Twitter! I know you will enjoy her guest post and hope you will add her blog to your regular rotation.

And now ladies and gentleman...a post from Kathy Richards a.k.a. Katdish:


The Top Ten Things your Friend/Significant Other with ADD wants you to know, but keeps forgetting to tell you:

Everybody and their brother thinks that they have ADD these days. You can't swing a stick without hitting 10 people who think that they would benefit from a prescription for Adderall, or at the very least, a significant helping of Ginko Biloba. But trust me, unless you have a green, "do not duplicate under penalty of law" prescription from your doctor, drink your Red Bull cafe latte and relax -- you've probably just got too much going on.

I, on the other hand, am the Tanya Tucker of Attention Deficit Disorder: I was ADD when ADD wasn't cool. I fancy myself a bit of an expert on the subject. Or at least, how it affects my relationships with the people in my life. I don't introduce myself as, "Hi, my name is Kathy and I have ADD". But if I enter into any type of meaningful relationship with another human being, I need to put that on the table. Otherwise, they end up getting pissed off or offended, or both. Please don't think I'm trying to make excuses for bad behavior. If I realize that I have been rude (intentionally or not), I deeply regret it and am the first to offer an apology and try to make amends. The problem is "realizing it" part.

I also recognize that there are people who think that ADD and ADHD are just made up conditions to excuse people with poor impulse control, bad manners and lack of discipline. I would invite these people to spend a day inside my head and then get back to me with their in-depth analysis. Good luck with all of THAT!

For those of you who have friends, family and spouses who suffer from this condition and choose to love us anyway, first let me say thank you. It means the world to us. You are the rocks of stability that anchor our crazy, mixed up lives, and I think God has a special place in heaven set aside for heroes such as you.
Now, on to the list:

1. We don't mean to keep interrupting you. But if we don't tell you what we want to say, it's gonna fly out of our heads and be lost forever. And, by the way, it's really important!

2. That comment we just made makes perfect sense. You just weren't in on the conversation we started in our heads a couple of minutes ago.

3. When we tell you that something is going to take about an hour to complete, go ahead and add on the rest of the day. We suck at time management.

4. Please don't ever send us to Wal-mart for just one thing. There's just way too many things to see before we get to the liquid detergent aisle.

5. We're really not sure how a loaf of bread, a half gallon of milk and a few other things added up to 87 dollars, but we're pretty sure we needed that stuff. Okay, we already have 6 bottles of ketchup, but you never know when you're going to need lots of ketchup.

6. We think it's really cool that you're good at complex mathematical equations, but please don't try to explain it to us. It's very overwhelming.

7. If you need us to run more than one or two errands within an allotted time period, please make a detailed, step by step list of instructions, then staple it to our foreheads. And be sure to call us and encourage us while were attempting to accomplish aforementioned errands.

8. If at all possible, do not allow us to handle the family finances. We will either drain the bank account by paying every bill as soon as it comes in, or will forget to pay any of them until we get the "red" ones.

9. We are actually very forgiving of what we consider to be your OCD tendencies, and hope that you will return the favor when dealing with our shortcomings. (We're actually pretty amazed at what you are able to accomplish without any gnashing of teeth, and more than a little jealous.)

10. We crack ourselves up. Seriously, we think we're hilarious. Please play along.

I'm sure you could add many more items to the list, but then it wouldn't be a "Top Ten". "Top 47" is not nearly as catchy! Since I like to add something about Jesus to my posts whenever I can, I'll share with you my favorite quote from Him. It plays inside my head whenever I mess up (which is pretty regularly):

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
(2 Corinthians 12:9)


Read more from Katdish at Hey look, a chicken!...it's always a great read.

11 comments:

Stephanie Wetzel said...

Ah, nice to read this post again. I so relate to the ADD thing, and Katdish does a great job explaining it.

We ADDers would be a formidable force -- if we could just remember where our car keys are...

David said...

I had a really good comment when I started-- and I was tying to be really good and read the whole post before blurting something out-- but then I started thinking about complex math equations and then the cute girl that used to sit next to me in Algebra and then I remembered I left my checkbook in the car - well that was last week -- shoot.

Oh well, with any luck can post it another time.

Cheers!

Billy Coffey said...

Some of my closest loved ones suffer from ADD, but none of them could ever articulate it quite like this.

Great post, Katdish!

katdish said...

Yay! I'm guest posting for Tony C. Thank you for the honor of being your first guest blogger. Now if the stupid twitter would start working...

Helen said...

When I was teaching, I taught lots of kids with ADD.
One liked to draw dragons.
Did you know dragons drawn in Asia look different than those drawn in England?
Do you think they were actually dinosaurs?
I wonder if dinosaurs were killed of by a meteor, or if it was just a matter of only male dinosaurs being hatched.
Did they have to sit on the eggs to hatch them?
I wonder how many dinosaur eggs to make an omelet for a family of three.

I can't imagine what ADD is like....

Love you, Kathy.

Anonymous said...

Well, that explains everything!!! It always means a lot to me to read about what we all consider to be short comings. It means that person was able to dig deep and throw something very emotional out to the world. God loves all of us, we are all his children including those of us who don't quite get it yet. To me, if God thinks I am worthy of his love, then every other person on this planet is worthy of mine, short comings and all. If we ever get to be friends, Kat, I have already pre-forgiven you for any interruption.

Tracy said...

The whole guest blog is fun!

As the wife of someone who is way too old to have been diagnosed as ADD, but who I've come to realize over the past few years definitely has the ADD struggles, I applaud this article.

Chris Denning said...

I liked #10!

Anonymous said...

Nice find Tony C! I checked out Katdish on her blog and she is very funny.

Maybe she can be in your sitcom! That would be some pretty funny stuff indeed. Something I'd for sure watch.

Lula! said...

Katdish is clearly my people...

photogr said...

This article really struck a nerve. We had been dealing with our Grandson who we had custody of that had ADHD but was not dagnosed properly till he was 11 years old then going through his school years with schools that refused to honor the IEP programs enacted by federal laws.

Dealing with his actions could be very taxing at times but other times very humorous. Not an easy life for those with ADD or ADHD.