Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It's got to be true because it was on TV and in the newspaper...

And the winner is...(drum roll)...#5! So the Burkulater blogging over on It's Time for the Burkulater is the lucky first winner. I have to say the Burkster didn't throw up a list of her songs for us all to chuckle about (that's right Johndrow...I chuckled at BOTH your list), but I also didn't specify that was a prerequisite for winning.
I enjoyed my first give away and hope to do another one next month despite the ridicule I received on Facebook over my own list. Hey folks, I'm a product of the 70's...what can I say?

Okay...on to other business.

Is it just me, or do the rest of you find the current headline grabbing story on the White House party crashers a real reach for serious journalism? Come on! This is National Enquirer and TMZ stuff...not main stream news media. So a couple of wannabe reality TV nuts ran the gauntlet of security for what should be the absolute most difficult place in the world to breach uninvited and shook hands with the Prez and company. Big deal! It's not like he ran up and licked him or gave him a noogy. I mean come on! Now that would have been news worthy.

Are the Obama's upset? Sure! Was the Secret Service faced? Sure! Did India's Prime Minister feel insulted for shaking the hands of a couple of nobodies? Who cares!

...he was so late, he ran right over here without even drying his hair! (lol) What a funny little man! Did you say you know Bill Clinton?


Our country is fighting two wars and conducting who knows how many covert operations. I personally know several people who will be deployed away from family during the Christmas holiday. Our economy is far from recovered. Congress is debating a monumental Health Care Reform bill and trying to ram it down the American people's throat. Government spending is completely out of control and bankrupting our country. Churches and schools are hiring security forces to keep people in attendance safe. Thousands and thousands of people are sick with a potentially deadly flu virus. Iran and North Korea are constantly on the edge of creating a new world order.

These party crashing clowns are headline news?! Don't laugh...the media feeds us what we crave to hear as a society because it's all about the money these days...not journalistic integrity. JFK had an affair with a certain Monroe lady for who knows how long. Did the news media know about it? You know they did...but reporting such a detail would be beneath self-imposed standards. These days if your name has any luring power for readers or watchers, the news media will find dirt or create some for you. Just ask Tiger Woods.

So a couple of crashers slipped into a White House gala...big deal. Do they really deserve 15 minutes of spotlight for that fact? The funny thing is...with a name like Tareq Salahi...he probably would have been hassled by the Secret Service more if he HAD been on the guest list! I'm just saying...

3 comments:

David said...

If I didn't have any bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all. I would have won if you listened to Brooks & Dunn.

Hey, if you are a child of the 70's, where was Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees in your playlist - if you can call it that?

Maybe we could try them along with the folks from Gitmo - you know, on a two-for-one; save a few bucks - who would know the difference, or float them over Colorado in an home made weather balloon.

Burkulater said...

First, I'd like to thank God, because He makes all things possible...even winning a blog contest while skirting the implied rules. Second, I'd like to thank Tracy Chapmann for giving Tony C a reason to stay here, even though he can hear her on the radio any time he wants. Last, I'd like to thank my blogging community for wasting their time reading my ramblings.

Now, in honor of the big win, here's my list:
1. How He Loves - David Crowder Band
2. Grey Blue Eyes - Dave Matthews Band
3. Stolen Away on 55th and 3rd - Dave Matthews
4. I'll Fly Away - Alison Krauss
5. Harlem's Nocturne - Alicia Keys
6. Up To the Mountain - Patty Griffin
7. Ain't No Reason - Brett Dennen
8. My Soul Sings - Delirious?
9. Jealous Kind - Jars of Clay
10. I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
11. Sunshine - Keane
12. Tears of the Saints - Leeland
13. In a Little While - U2
14. Sweet Child of Mine - Guns & Roses
15. Shut Your Eyes - Snow Patrol
16. Claire de Lune - Debussy
17. Heavenly Day - Patty Griffin
18. Oh - Dave Matthews
19. Equally Skilled - Jon Foreman
20. Caring is Creepy - Shins

Where's my chicken?

Anonymous said...

Hey Tony, did you hear the latest poll that shows a ton of people would rather have Bush back as President over Obama? Crazy, considering his dismal approval numbers toward the end of his term