Thursday, March 17, 2011

I ate Lucky Charms for breakfast....does that count?

All of these religious celebrations of late have me really confused...

Today is St. Patrick's Day, an official religious celebration for the Roman Catholic church (among others) honoring the patron saint of Ireland. There will be parades, festivals and general hoopla worldwide to include turning the Chicago River green in recognition of the 4th century bishop. I've read the original celebratory color was blue, but since Saint Patrick was well known to use the shamrock to illustrate the Holy Trinity to the...ahem...slower pagan Irish, green eventually won out. Bet people in Chicago wish it had stayed blue.

So celebrations will be in full bloom today and the Irish beer and whiskey will flow...

But wait. Didn't Lent just start. Is that just a fish thing? I couldn't help but notice McDonald's has the Filet-O-Fish at a special 2 for $3 price starting back on Ash Wednesday. But aren't you suppose to fast on Ash Wednesday? Why would I need 2 fish sandwiches then? Is that even really fish in those things? They always squirt the tartar sauce too far to one side too, and I end up with the stuff all over me, causing me to swear...I mean  fuss...and generally get aggravated and think bad things about some poor smuck working at McDonald's...

Wait! Where was I going with all this? Oh yes, so as I understand it, since St. Patrick's Day falls on Thursday this year, I don't have to worry about Lent or hoping the bishop of the local diocese gives dispensations from the normal Lenten regulations, and I can go about celebrating my 1/16th Irish heart out. Now we're talking! Except...I'm not exactly sure what I just said. Diocese? Dispensations? Wait! Isn't Lent about focusing on Jesus leading up to Good Friday and Easter Sunday? Wasn't I suppose to get all that out of my system by Fat Tuesday during Mardi Gra or Festival or Masquerade...aagggghhhh! It's just all too confusing!

I'm sure glad I'm a Protestant. Catholics have it rough this time of year! I'm going to McDonald's for lunch and having a Big Mac. Hope they don't get the sauce too far too one side. It always drips down your hand. Stupid smucks. So aggravating...

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Funny. I have nothing in depth to add. Just letting you know...it's funny. :D

Anonymous said...

It's only confusing when you try to understand it in logical terms. It's actually total insanity. Don't be too hard on yourself. One day Jesus will come back and straighten everything out.:-)

Tracy said...

Thanks for the laugh